Posted to rec.woodworking
Jerry Osage[_2_] Jerry Osage[_2_] is offline

Default Building Square Walls On New Construction Sill Plates

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 10:39:56 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

Normally what builder would do is build the wall in the horizontal, on
the deck/floor, then raise it up into the vertical position.
I suggest doing a modified version of this. Use studs all the same
length. When you lay out the studs, nail them into the sole/sill plate
as you normally would. But instead nailing the top plate to the ends of
the studs, flip it down against the sides of the studs about a foot down
from the tops of the studs. Put one screw through it into each stud,
leaving the tops free. I hope you can picture this.

I saw this being done years ago and had to stop and inquire. Due to
building codes/restrictions a new foundation would have been new
construction, and wasn't allowed. However, using the old foundation made
it a renovation/remodel - or some such - and was grand fathered and
allowed.

I consider this the best solution available - it works. It is still a
real PITA, but not as much as other methods and it is more accurate and
faster. Simple, elegant, and a solution that I would not have thought of
- I'm sure that I would have tried to cut each stud individually, but
framing is not my forte.
--

Jerry O.