Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Building Square Walls On New Construction Sill Plates

On 3/17/2018 9:19 AM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

I have a use case where I want to build a wall on new construction.
Inevitably, the foundation pours are not perfectly level. Over long
runs, they can be off several inches. So, I want to build the wall
to the sill plate with studs of different lengths to account for this
so that the top of the wall *is* level. Because of the long horizontal
runs involved, I want to keep the accuracy of the cuts to 1/16 or
even 1/32 (to avoid accumulation error).

Questions:

1) Do distance finders allow offsets like that to be dialed in?
2) Is there a better/faster/smarter way to do this?
3) Is there already a tooling system for just this problem?

P.S. This question is actually on behalf of a friend of mine who is
a professional builder. I first suggested mounting a long
auxiliary fence on the right side of his chop saw (with proper
support) and then sticking on a self-adhesive tape to the top
of it. He said he's already doing this but it's too slow for
large projects. You have to run back-and-forth from the end
of the board to the blade to get it right. In some cases,
he's using sticks up to 20' in length so it's a fair walk.

Ideas?

I'm sure there are rangers that do allow for tare but measuring/cutting
each stud individually is the hard way to go about it.

Pull a level string on the foundation and measure the distance needed
for each stud location to make the level. Lay out the studs on the
ground in group and transfer the distance to them. Cut.