Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Building Square Walls On New Construction Sill Plates

On 3/17/18 9:19 AM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

I have a use case where I want to build a wall on new construction.
Inevitably, the foundation pours are not perfectly level. Over long
runs, they can be off several inches. So, I want to build the wall
to the sill plate with studs of different lengths to account for
this so that the top of the wall *is* level. Because of the long
horizontal runs involved, I want to keep the accuracy of the cuts to
1/16 or even 1/32 (to avoid accumulation error).

Ideas?

Maybe I'm not completely understanding what's going on, but let me throw
out a suggestion.
The current problem is that the foundation wall isn't level and has a
uneven, inconstant slope to it. And I assume there is no deck installed
or floor poured yet.

Normally what builder would do is build the wall in the horizontal, on
the deck/floor, then raise it up into the vertical position.
I suggest doing a modified version of this. Use studs all the same
length. When you lay out the studs, nail them into the sole/sill plate
as you normally would. But instead nailing the top plate to the ends of
the studs, flip it down against the sides of the studs about a foot down
from the tops of the studs. Put one screw through it into each stud,
leaving the tops free. I hope you can picture this.

Once you've done this, you raise the wall into position on the
foundation, like normal, and temporarily secure it in place with some
long diagonal bracing. What you now have is a stud wall with no top
plate, but with the studs held in place with the top plate running along
the side of the wall instead of on top.

Now you can mark a level line across all those studs, using whatever
method is at your disposal. A laser level, a water level, whatever.
All you need is two marks at the correct cut height/length, one at each
end of the wall, then you can strike chalk line. If you have a good
laser level, you can mark each stud individually. Once you're happy
that you have each stud marked, you drop the wall back down and cut the
studs at the marks with a circ saw, fasten a top plate, as normal, and
raise the wall back up into position.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)