Posted to rec.woodworking
Jerry Osage[_2_] Jerry Osage[_2_] is offline

Default Harbor Freight Stepping up Their Game?

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 19:59:32 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 16:44:15 -0500,
(Jerry
Osage) wrote:

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 18:32:13 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Comparing HF to Festool in just about anyway is just stupid. One is a tool designed and manufactured to the highest tolerances for dedicated woodworkers or exacting professionals, and one is a utility tool that fits a certain need. I have never heard of a professional saying, "man, one day I would really like to have one of those HF miter saws".

I fail to understand all the animosity for Festool unless it boils down
to: "I can't afford them therefore I will disparage them."

By Jove! I think he's got it!

The best I can tell from reading here and talking to owner/users of
Festool tools they have no complaints except perhaps for the initial
cost.

I earned a long time back that when you buy the best, you only cry
once.

If I was 40 years younger, and setting up a woodworking hobby shop my
go-to brand would be Festool. And, 40 years later the tools might be
antiquated but I'd be willing to bet that they would still be working -
and, if not, Festool would be happy to repair them...

I'm not 40 years younger (I couldn't afford them 40 years ago) but I
bought mine because they had something to offer that I wanted more
than the cash.

My father, and his brothers, were cabinet makers. Other relatives were
carpenters/house builders. I was pretty well versed in cabinet making.
However. perhaps because of the experience I wanted a job where I wore a
suit and spent a lot of time behind a desk. Then go home and garden and
make sawdust

I never wanted to take it beyond a hobby - however I wanted quality
tools. Cry once and get on with it. "How do you justify all this stuff?"
"I wanted it, we could afford it, and my wife said OK - that's all the
justification I needed."

The only complaints I see or hear about Festool tools - from Festool
owners - is the price. Never once have I heard: "It's a crappy tool, it
does crappy work, repeatability sucks, and it is always breaking down."

What I hear is: "they are great tools and they are expensive, however,
if you have the coin and can justify spending it, you'll be glad you
did. And I agree.
--

Jerry O.