Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Ijames[_14_] Carl Ijames[_14_] is offline

Default What can you do with an arbor press?

"Eli the Bearded" wrote in message
I built an insert for mine that holds a standard trapezoidal utility
knife blade and use it as a paper trimmer / poor man's die cutter. For a
modular origami project, I needed a whole lot of hexagonal shaped paper.
I was very dissatified with quality of the cuts on the pivot handle
paper cutters when doing a stack of paper at once.

That insert allowed me to just trim stacks of square origami paper
quickly with beautifully clean cuts. (Although if I needed to cut a line
longer than two inches or so, that would be another story.) I'd like to
someday move on to papel picado type cuts, but I'm not sure the best way
forward there. Is there a good place to get hobbiest quantities of steel
rule blades?

Elijah

Never bought just the die stock from them but have had several dies made at
http://www.acesteelruledies.com/ in NJ and was very happy with the service.
I'm sure they would sell you some pieces of blade stock - they offer bent
dies where they shape them and you put them in a wood holder so this would
just be simple straight pieces. They will also do the punching. We would
have a die made, send them the foam rubber stock, they would do the punching
and ship everything to us. Next time I'd send the die and more stock back,
they would punch and return it all, etc.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames