Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Roofing Question ?

In article ,
says...

: get several detailed estimates and talk with the contractors about
everything - they can be a good resource - or their inability to
answer your questions can be a red flag. Sometimes the estimator is
more of a salesman - rather than a tradesman !
: don't just consider the shingles - eave starter; flashing;
ventilation, repairs - are all important too.
: beware of the contractor who can "start next week" .. the good
ones are usually busy & booked up .
You could visit your local building supply store in advance just to
compare and calculate the cost difference of the materials -
we were shown 3 grades of shingles - the lowest grade was quite
inferior - thin light flimsy - the contractor showed it as a warning
- not as an option.
John T.

Yes, get several estiments. I did not know any roofers several years
ago so went to Home Advisor and had 4 companies come out for estiments.
For about a 28 square roof, two were close at just under $ 9,000. A
third was about $ 12,000 and one was almost $ 20,000. I went with the
2nd highest one around $ 9,000. He seemed to have a quality product and
a good lone time warrenty when I bought the better quality of his
offerings.
While it has only been 3 years, they still look good and have weathered
several big wind storms. The singles had a certain numer of nails for
each one depending on the pitch of the roof. I noticed the roofers used
one more nail per shingle than recommended for my pitch of roof.