Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Harbor Freight Stepping up Their Game?

On 3/10/2018 12:56 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/10/2018 9:39 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/9/2018 8:48 AM, Leon wrote:
Jack wrote:
On 3/8/2018 11:27 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/8/2018 9:49 AM, Markem wrote:
On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 10:05:34 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 3/8/2018 9:11 AM, Leon wrote:
Jack wrote:
On 3/7/2018 12:51 PM, Markem wrote:
On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 10:15:00 -0500, Jack
wrote:

On 3/6/2018 9:32 PM, wrote:
If it was me, or only me and a trusted assistant I would buy
Festool
for almost all my needs.
And yes, under those conditions I would take them out to a job
site when needed.
The only tool I wouldn't buy that they make is their drills.
Too much value these days in the lifetime warranty (and recent
brushless models) for me to buy something else.

Big Snip

Comparing HF to Festool in just about anyway is just stupid.
One is a tool designed and manufactured to the highest
tolerances for
dedicated woodworkers or exacting professionals, and one is a
utility tool
that fits a certain need. I have never heard of a professional
saying,
"man, one day I would really like to have one of those HF miter
saws".

Don't get this one...

You don't get that the fact that you know "pro's" (yourself
even)
that
uses HF tools does not infer that HF tools are great tools
designed to
last any more that a pro using a festering tool mean they are
balls to
the wall best tools ever made...

You know Jack that is exactly what he said by my reading.

YMMV I guess.

snip

Leon made the statement that Festools were good because pros use
them.

I made no such statement at all.

Well, I said:
"He said the festering TS 55 is not designed for continuous use and
abuse that a contractor would need."

And you replied:
"And yet pros have been using the Festool track saws for decades.."

I take that as saying festools are good because pros use them.
What was
it you were trying to say with that statement?

With you it really does not matter, if it does not fit your
narrative.

He seems to rearrange words and often gets confused.

Bull! I quoted exactly what you said, no word rearrangement. Feel free
to explain what you meant when you replied, and I quote:

"And yet pros have be using the Festool track saws for decades.."

If it was not saying festering tools are good because pros use them,
then what was it you were mumbling?

Jeez Jack

You said,
He said the festering TS 55 is not designed for continuous use and abuse
that a contractor would need.

I responded,
"And yet pros have be using the Festool track saws for decades.."

So to put that /my comment into words you might understand.
My comment was in contrast to the opinion that the saw is not
designed for
continuous use and abuse that a contractor would need. Because pros
have
been using Festool track saws for decades it is not a stretch of the
imagination to realize that the saws have indeed been holding up for
continuous use and abuse by contractors for decades.

Then some where you said,
I take that as saying festools are good because pros use them

YOU misinterpreted my comment and added good because pros use them. I
never said they are good because pros use them. I simply said pros have
been using them for decades.

Do you think pros would be using, for decades, a saw brand that did not
hold up to the use and abuse of a contractor?

YOU are the one that said you took the comment, the fact that
contractors
have been using the saws for decades, to mean they were good.

OK, you win, you were not saying festering tools are good, but
durable. Pros use them because they are durable. My mistake, didn't
know you were going to split hairs...

I won nothing, this was not a contest. I was not splitting hairs, I was
pretty up front.

You are splitting hairs.

I did not say durable either. I said something like, Some one said
the saw would not hold up to contractors use. Festool has been selling
the saw to pro's/contractors for 40 plus years. "You" probably have to
think about that to get from A to B.

So if "pro's" using a tool proves they are durable (not good but
durable) then it follows that HF tools are durable because Pro's use
them? Moreover, since more pro's use HF tools, and Bosch tools, and
Ridgid tools than Festering tools, then all those must be more durable
than festools. Is that what you were saying? Sounds lame whether you
use the word good or durable.

Jack you are making stuff up. It is not complicated. The saws have
been used by pros for decades. A reasonable assumption is that the saws
are likely to be holding up.

So, you were not saying festering tools are "good" because some pro's
use them. They are not durable because some pro's use them, but they
"hold up" because some pro's use them. Well in the words of Steve
Martin: EXCUSE ME!

I didn't make up that pro's have been using HF tools for years. I didn't
make up that HF tools are not good, I mean durable. One does not
necessarily follow the other, so you saying it has no meaning, even
less meaning when you realize more pro's use HF tools than Festools, or
that more pro's use Ridged, Bosch, Mikita and probably most any named
tool more than Festool. Is it reasonable then to assume that all these
tools, including HF tools are likely to be holding up?

That is all I was commenting on. Try to stay on that and not read into
my comments something you would like to argue about.

When I read your arguments I have to read into them what the words say.
When you argue about what I say, or claim I twist your words around, I
sometimes enjoy arguing back, otherwise I would not respond to your
arguments. How about you, why do you like to argue this crap?

I'd rather take Vhe's teardown where he gave Festering tools a rather
good review, pointing out strengths and weaknesses, than the fact lots
of pro's use HF tools so they must be durable. In fact, Vhe's review
of a HF drill he says they should last about as long as their 90 day
warranty, or something like that, so pro's using them doesn't cut it
with him either.

That does not make him or his reviews credible. Things he points out as
deficiencies with the products he reviews are not always a concern in
the long run. In the real world and with real world use the things he
seems concerned about may not be an issue. I'm surprised he is not
impressed or unimpressed by the color of a product.

You seem to be impressed by him and if that makes you happy, good for you.

Personally, I think most HF tools are just as good as any other tools,
just their life expectancy is nil. I'd bet money I can drill a really
good hole with a HF drill, just not a lot of them, so the tool is
good, just not durable...

Well I think you certainly seem to have an understanding of the words
good and also durable.

So if you want to drill a good hole, buy the cheapest tool you can
find, probably HF. If you want good and durable to drill endless
holes, buy the most expensive tool you can find, probably a Hilti. If
you want in between, go for Bosch, Rigid Makita etc.

You seem to be fascinated with holes! Buy what makes you happy when
drilling your hole or holes.

Fascinated watching you claim there is some big difference between a
tool being good, durable or holding up.

For your enlightenment, "durable" and "holding up" are exactly the same,
and good is a reasonable description of a tool that is durable/ "holds
up" for anyone not splitting hairs...

BTW, a cursory look at Vhe teardown of the silly Bosch toy chainsaw
tool the comit posted seemed to be good as far as build goes. So there
is yet another review of his that was not just trashing tools, like
you inferred he does. In fact, the Hilti, the Kitchen Aid, the
Festool and Bosch reviews were good, the HF was not good. 4 out of 5
ain't bad.

Still I find his reviews irrelevant. Maybe you need a starting point
for making a decision on what you would consider buying.

True, I certainly would never spend $700 on a shop vac w/o some
investigation.

I'm using experience with the actual brands and tools that I work with.

And your actual experience perfectly matches what AVe said in his
festool review. I'm not surprised, his reviews seem rather complete.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com