Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Water softener systems

On 10/03/2018 23:06, wrote:
On Saturday, 10 March 2018 22:08:44 UTC, Jon Parker wrote:

So. I'm fed up with scale everywhere. I'm thinking water softener.

I don't want to faff about filling it with salt every 5 minutes.

It's there an idiots guide somewhere which explains the different
systems?

This one for example seems to good to be true. Which probably means
it's total ********...

https://www.easyh2o.co.uk/product/4-...em-rrp-239-105

Can anyone with a system installed comment please?

those magnetic things are a scam. That leaves phosphate dosing and
ion exchange. IE requires regular salt tablets. P requires a very
occasional replacement cartridge. Drinking water taps (ie kitchen
cold) should not be softened.

NT

There is also reverse osmosis but it wastes water.

That will remove a lot of stuff that water softeners can't remove.
They are cheaper than water softeners but they don't have a very high
throughput so you need a storage tank.

I just bought a pumped seven stage one for my fish from amazon warehouse
deals.

Particle filter to take out any solids
Carbon filter to take out the chlorine (needed to stop the membrane
being damaged).
Another carbon filter to take out chloroamines
Membrane
12l Tank
post tank carbon filter
something to re-mineralize it (not being used)
UV sterilizer (not being used)

All for about £117.