Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Water softener systems

Yes, most houses, including mine, around here have some lead piping and from
what I've heard from tests, there is very little lead in the water at all,
probably since its been here all that time its coated in some lime scale
anyway!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
news
On 10/03/2018 23:06,
wrote:
On Saturday, 10 March 2018 22:08:44 UTC, Jon Parker wrote:

So. I'm fed up with scale everywhere. I'm thinking water softener.

I don't want to faff about filling it with salt every 5 minutes.

It's there an idiots guide somewhere which explains the different
systems?

This one for example seems to good to be true. Which probably means it's
total ********...

https://www.easyh2o.co.uk/product/4-...em-rrp-239-105

Can anyone with a system installed comment please?

those magnetic things are a scam.
That leaves phosphate dosing and ion exchange. IE requires regular salt
tablets. P requires a very occasional replacement cartridge. Drinking
water taps (ie kitchen cold) should not be softened.

NT

Interesting, I didn't know about using phosphate dosing to to prevent
scaling. I have worked on large phosphate dosing systems (for United
Utilities) and the reason for those was to prevent soft water absorbing
lead.

SteveW