Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Water softener systems

On 10/03/2018 22:08, Jon Parker wrote:

So. I'm fed up with scale everywhere. I'm thinking water softener.

I don't want to faff about filling it with salt every 5 minutes.

Most will be a bit less frequent than that ;-)

It's there an idiots guide somewhere which explains the different systems?

This one for example seems to good to be true. Which probably means it's total ********...

https://www.easyh2o.co.uk/product/4-...em-rrp-239-105

Can anyone with a system installed comment please?

I use a phosphate dosing system. Its effective at stopping scale
deposing on heating surfaces (i.e. in heat exchangers etc), but will not
stop it depositing on evaporation - so you will still get hard water
marks on shower screens etc. However its cheep to run and just needs
topping up with phosphate balls every year or so.

Other than that you have a variety of ion exchange systems of various
levels of sophistication. Those will properly soften the water, but do
consume salt to recharge their ion exchange matrix.

The remaining electrical and magnetic systems you can probably file in
the snake oil category.

--
Cheers,

John.