Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Harbor Freight Stepping up Their Game?

On 3/8/2018 10:24 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/7/18 10:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/7/2018 9:33 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/7/18 7:40 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 10:00:45 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 3/6/2018 8:07 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 09:24:24 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 3/5/2018 2:03 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 09:12:53 -0500, Jack
wrote:

On 3/3/2018 3:12 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/3/18 12:50 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/3/2018 11:49 AM, Leon wrote:
Apparently the new line of HF tools, Hercules, has got it's
sites set
on the DeWalt DWS780.Â* But is the price difference to enough
to go
from a 3 year warranty on the DeWalt to a 90 day warranty
for the
Hercules?Â* Will anyone pay $399 for a HF SCMS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfLR-FQGgGU

And the claimed "high efficiency dust collection" apparently
means
that it will collect dust on the outside of the dust bag
rather than
in the bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=fLCrCz1_2rc

No, Watch AVE's teardown of the hercules drills. Crap.

Love that guy!
I'm watching it, now.

Me too.Â* He speaks my language too.Â* He likes Hilti tools I
think.Â* Not
at all impressed with the festering tools, (considering the
price)Â* He
said the festering TS 55 is not designed for continuous use and
abuse
that a contractor would need.

Duh!Â* It's not a contractor saw.

Just priced like one...

A BMW 7-Series is priced even higher!

Hilti on the other hand he thinks is over kill for the home
user.Â* As a
home user, I wouldn't spend the bucks on either, but really, if
I wanted
to spend that much on a hand tool, I'd look at a Hilti first.

I bought my wife a kitchen aid mixer, and THEN watched his tear
down/review of the same mixer, holding my breath.Â* Seemed to
pass so I
was happy.

He says no manufacturer would ever send him a tool for review,
and after
watching him a few times, I believe him.

So do I, but likely for a whole different reason than do you.

What might that be?

Because they don't want their tools associated with a nutter.

By "nutter" you must mean someone that will disassemble their tool
looking for built in weaknesses and expose them to the public?

Someone who has nothing better to do with his life?Â* Yeah, an nutter.

That's exactly what I think as well...

...but not as nutty as those who click on his bait.

Man, are you a judgmental, crotchety old fart.Â*Â* :-)

The guy's has turned a hobby into a pretty decent part time job.
As someone who's gotten regular direct deposits from Youtube for my
content, I wish I had the followers and plays that he has.

He's providing pretty entertaining and educational content and
getting paid pretty well for it.Â* You condescending and ignorantly
ask if he has nothing better to do with his life?

What would you prefer he do with his spare time?Â* Watch TV all night?
How much do you get paid for bitching about guys putting videos on
YouTube?

But do you really want to go with the opinion of some one that
obviously does not have hands on experience with actual use?Â* Or some
one that actually uses the tools and and have determined that his
findings are irrelevant?Â* ;~)Â*Â*Â* Just saying...Â* ;~)

Both and neither.Â* I usually want to get my own hands on something
before making a concrete judgment.
But I also trust the words of people I know who have and do use tools
the way I do on a regular basis, like you and Robert and Karl and other
friends not in here.
AND I trust what this guy has to say in the areas in which he obviously
has a lot of experience and knowledge.Â* I don't know his entire
background or how much he uses or has used the tools.Â* I can't see
someone who doesn't have a lot of firsthand experience with these tool
just deciding one day to start breaking them open and dissecting them.

Well, the more clicks he gets the more he gets paid.

I take it with a grain of salt, but I also have gotten some very good
info from his videos.

I totally understand that. He does have some interesting points of view
but many of the weak areas that he points to do not seem to matter. In
particular, the end cap of the track saw. Apparently the wrong kind of
plastic that could be broken. I suppose a better plastic would be
better if you are likely to take a hammer to that part or drop the saw.
But the plastic end cap is going to be the least of you worries if you
drop the saw on its end on a hard surface. It. like most any other
brand saw. will likely not cut true after that. The rubber hand grip on
the saw seems to be wrong too. If you spill a particular type of
solvent on it it will melt. Is that really a likely event and if it did
happen would it make the saw less functional?

I watched a video of him tearing apart a kitchen knife sharpener. His
was not a kind review of how the machine was constructed He seemed to
think the tiny internal fan was made out of the wrong plastic or
something like that. Does that matter if the fan cools the motor?
Irrelevant if the sharpener works for the few minutes you would use it
each day. My dad has a similar style sharpener. The issue with it that
I have is that it is too slooooooow. I did not watch enough of the
video to see if he actually gave a review of how it actually performed.

FWIW I think he, myself, and you could find something, that we feel
might be a problem, with most anything, But in long term use proves to
not be an issue. I believe a proven track record far outweighs any one
persons personal view.

Now if he offered a better design that would eliminate a known problem
he might be more interesting to me. But so far what he thinks to be
problems areas do not manifest to be problems, at least with the Festool
track saw.