Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Harbor Freight Stepping up Their Game?

On 3/7/18 10:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/7/2018 9:33 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/7/18 7:40 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 10:00:45 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 3/6/2018 8:07 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 09:24:24 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 3/5/2018 2:03 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 09:12:53 -0500, Jack
wrote:

On 3/3/2018 3:12 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/3/18 12:50 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/3/2018 11:49 AM, Leon wrote:
Apparently the new line of HF tools, Hercules, has got it's
sites set
on the DeWalt DWS780.Â* But is the price difference to enough
to go
from a 3 year warranty on the DeWalt to a 90 day warranty for
the
Hercules?Â* Will anyone pay $399 for a HF SCMS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfLR-FQGgGU

And the claimed "high efficiency dust collection" apparently
means
that it will collect dust on the outside of the dust bag
rather than
in the bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=fLCrCz1_2rc

No, Watch AVE's teardown of the hercules drills. Crap.

Love that guy!
I'm watching it, now.

Me too.Â* He speaks my language too.Â* He likes Hilti tools I
think.Â* Not
at all impressed with the festering tools, (considering the
price)Â* He
said the festering TS 55 is not designed for continuous use and
abuse
that a contractor would need.

Duh!Â* It's not a contractor saw.

Just priced like one...

A BMW 7-Series is priced even higher!

Hilti on the other hand he thinks is over kill for the home
user.Â* As a
home user, I wouldn't spend the bucks on either, but really, if
I wanted
to spend that much on a hand tool, I'd look at a Hilti first.

I bought my wife a kitchen aid mixer, and THEN watched his tear
down/review of the same mixer, holding my breath.Â* Seemed to
pass so I
was happy.

He says no manufacturer would ever send him a tool for review,
and after
watching him a few times, I believe him.

So do I, but likely for a whole different reason than do you.

What might that be?

Because they don't want their tools associated with a nutter.

By "nutter" you must mean someone that will disassemble their tool
looking for built in weaknesses and expose them to the public?

Someone who has nothing better to do with his life?Â* Yeah, an nutter.

That's exactly what I think as well...

...but not as nutty as those who click on his bait.

Man, are you a judgmental, crotchety old fart.Â*Â* :-)

The guy's has turned a hobby into a pretty decent part time job.
As someone who's gotten regular direct deposits from Youtube for my
content, I wish I had the followers and plays that he has.

He's providing pretty entertaining and educational content and getting
paid pretty well for it.Â* You condescending and ignorantly ask if he
has nothing better to do with his life?

What would you prefer he do with his spare time?Â* Watch TV all night?
How much do you get paid for bitching about guys putting videos on
YouTube?

But do you really want to go with the opinion of some one that obviously
does not have hands on experience with actual use?Â* Or some one that
actually uses the tools and and have determined that his findings are
irrelevant?Â* ;~)Â*Â*Â* Just saying...Â* ;~)

Both and neither. I usually want to get my own hands on something
before making a concrete judgment.
But I also trust the words of people I know who have and do use tools
the way I do on a regular basis, like you and Robert and Karl and other
friends not in here.
AND I trust what this guy has to say in the areas in which he obviously
has a lot of experience and knowledge. I don't know his entire
background or how much he uses or has used the tools. I can't see
someone who doesn't have a lot of firsthand experience with these tool
just deciding one day to start breaking them open and dissecting them.

I take it with a grain of salt, but I also have gotten some very good
info from his videos.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)