Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Harbor Freight Stepping up Their Game?

On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 12:25:44 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 3/6/2018 9:14 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/5/2018 5:49 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/5/2018 1:26 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/5/18 12:07 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/5/2018 8:12 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/3/2018 3:12 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/3/18 12:50 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/3/2018 11:49 AM, Leon wrote:
Apparently the new line of HF tools, Hercules, has got it's
sites set on the DeWalt DWS780.Â* But is the price difference
to enough to go from a 3 year warranty on the DeWalt to a 90
day warranty for the Hercules?Â* Will anyone pay $399 for a HF
SCMS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfLR-FQGgGU

And the claimed "high efficiency dust collection" apparently
means that it will collect dust on the outside of the dust
bag rather than in the bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=fLCrCz1_2rc

No, Watch AVE's teardown of the hercules drills. Crap.

Love that guy! I'm watching it, now.

Me too.Â* He speaks my language too.Â* He likes Hilti tools I think.
Â*Not at all impressed with the festering tools, (considering the
price)Â* He said the festering TS 55 is not designed for continuous
use and abuse that a contractor would need.

And yet pros have been using the Festool track saws for decades..

Hilti on the other hand he thinks is over kill for the home user.
As a home user, I wouldn't spend the bucks on either, but really,
if I wanted to spend that much on a hand tool, I'd look at a Hilti
first.

I bought my wife a kitchen aid mixer, and THEN watched his tear
down/review of the same mixer, holding my breath.Â* Seemed to pass
so I was happy.

He says no manufacturer would ever send him a tool for review, and
Â*after watching him a few times, I believe him.

This guy is like many on YouTube, simply trying to get as many likes
as possible.Â* Click bate.

Actually, I find him both entertaining and knowledgeable.Â* Not your
typical vapid haha type.
He obviously has a lot of education/knowledge of electrical and
mechanical engineering and knows a lot about plastics and metals
manufacturing.

I haven't found him to be a Festool basher.Â* He doesn't pull punches
where he sees a need to be critical, but he also doesn't "look for
reasons" to bash something.
IIRC, he was concerned about one bearing on the saw, but he was also
very impressed with the Festool casting and machining and took a lot of
time to point it out and offered many compliments.

Regardless of his findings of materials used, the tools hold up,
extremely well.

Compared to what?Â* A high priced Hilti or a 1/10th priced HF?

Compared to it not holding up well. I have yet to have one need to be
serviced yet or break down. Can't say that for my PC, Bosch, DeWalt tools.

His opinion seems to be, based on tearing down tools to see what they
are made of, is that the Festool is a nice tool, but you _don't_ get
what you pay for, and the Hilti is a great tool, but you _do_ get what
you pay for. Also, he said Festool seems designed for the occasional
user that is not going to use and abuse the tool, like a homeowner. Not
good for continuous use and abuse, like a contractor.

My opinion is both tools are overkill for me and no one on earth _needs_
to spend $700 on a shop vac, and festools target market seems to be the
dude rancher.

And for you and your needs both brands are probably over kill. For me
not so much.

I personally could care less what the materials are
made up of if the tool does what it is suppose to do and for years on
end.Â* I kind of finds his findings pointless.

He seems rather knowledgeable to me. Most reviews on Youtube are
extremely shallow while his are anything but. Pointless is hard to
figure.Â* He pointed out a few weaknesses in the TS55 design, also
mentioned some strong points. And, he is somewhat entertaining while
doing it.

I think knowledgeable with a bias against almost every thing he putters
with, including other brand acquisitions.

The whole point to his videos is to find something wrong with what ever
he disassembles. That is fine if you like to read something into that.

It does not matter what or how a tool is made, if it holds up and
performs well, that is all that matters.

I use my tools and do not sit back wondering if they will hold up or
not. Nor do I fear breaking them. I do not blindly assume Festool
makes nothing but perfection. I will tell you right up front that The
Festool parallel guides are a poor design and a PIA to use and they are
quite expensive.

I proceeded with caution when I purchased my Dust Extractor and Domino,
11 years ago, my first Festool tools. The Dust Extractor is operated
ever time I use my Domino, track saw, any of the 3 sanders, Kapex,
pocket hole jig, or for spot cleaning. The Domino has cut in excess of
10,000 mortises and the machine still operates and and looks new. The
original 5mm bit that has cut probably 9,000 of those mortises and still
cuts perfectly fine. I cannot tell you how many times I have dropped
all three of my Festool sanders and Festool drill onto my concrete
floor, not a problem.

How much do I use my tools? I have posted countless links to projects
that I have built in the past 20 years of participating on this news
group. 90% of those projects were for customers.

Hey dude, where's your ranch? ;-)