Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Continental europe having problems with 50Hz

On 06/03/18 14:57, Chris Green wrote:
Andy Bennet wrote:
On 06/03/2018 13:52, newshound wrote:
On 06/03/2018 13:46, Andy Burns wrote:
They've lost 5 minutes worth of cycles since mid-January

https://www.entsoe.eu/news-events/announcements/announcements-archive/Pages/News/Frequency-deviations-in-Continental-Europe-including-impact-on-electric-clocks-steered-by-frequency.aspx

Seems surprising.

I'm not sure if the continental grid is kept synchronised across all
countries. In the UK, any daily lag is usually fixed overnight.

Good job the interconnctors are DC!

It's exactly *why* they're DC as I understand it, the difficulty of
synchronising our grid with the French grid.

For longer cables DC makes sense for other reasons but for the 25 odd
miles across the channel I'm pretty sure it was the synchronisation
issue that was the reason for using DC.

No, it is losses.

Weren't they originally huge mercury arc rectifiers or is that just my
wierd imagination? :-)

Yes.

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain