Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shockproof? Really?

On Mon, 05 Mar 2018 20:46:20 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Mon, 05 Mar 2018 12:03:25 -0800
On Mon, 05 Mar 2018 11:51:38 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:
On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 11:25:39 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:
On 3/5/2018 12:43 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 04 Mar 2018 16:56:48 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:
You wont find a Dial caliper in fractions. You will however find a
DIGITAL caliper in fractions at...Harbor Freight.
Not to harsh your mellow, but

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...l-dial-caliper

No ****? Cool! Ive never seen one of those before! Thanks for the
link!!
I have one of the digital fractional calipers..but not one of those.
Way cool!
Gunner
It is not as accurate as a decimal one though. The dial turns at a
higher rate. One turn is one inch.

Yeah..I read that. Im simply not sure why anybody would want one. But
it is cool.

On pondering it...I can see some...some... uses for this in places
that make raw materials..boards, sheets and similar stock in mills.
You can easily see how close to say..5/8" your planer is cutting.
But..you are going to have to adjust the blades in thousands, based on
the commerical planers Ive worked on. So if your .625 sheet is
actually coming out .608...you adjust the blades the proper +.017 and
get it back to what its supposed to be.

So yeah..I can see some..some uses for this. Not one Id ever have
though that I can foresee.

But..shrug...if it floats a guys boat.

Guys buy tools like women buy shoes - because they like it, they
will have it, and some other ... person, won't. Nyah.

And, as you say, "Whatever floats your boat." I want one to make
matching holes or dowels with drills a bit easier.

Easier how? Buy measuring spacing with an instrument which breaks
down measurements by 64ths of an inch..or by measurements which break
them down by 1000ths of an inch?

(hint..go with 1000ths)

--
pyotr filipivich