Old March 3rd 18, 01:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shockproof? Really?

Every dial caliper I own (I think every one) or have owned says
shockproof right on the dial. Exactly what shock are they proof
against? Certainly not being dropped.

Old March 3rd 18, 01:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 2 Mar 2018 18:18:39 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

Every dial caliper I own (I think every one) or have owned says
shockproof right on the dial. Exactly what shock are they proof
against? Certainly not being dropped.

Finding out they're pregnant.

--
Ed Huntress
Old March 3rd 18, 02:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Every dial caliper I own (I think every one) or have owned says
shockproof right on the dial. Exactly what shock are they proof
against? Certainly not being dropped.

My ~35 year old Mitutoyo 505-644 does not. Googling, the current
505-644-50 does and they are $175! Ouch!!
--
William
Old March 3rd 18, 02:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Every dial caliper I own (I think every one) or have owned says
shockproof right on the dial. Exactly what shock are they proof
against? Certainly not being dropped.

Finding out they're pregnant.

That might coincide with being dropped. Because when you drop one you
know a new one is coming soon. LOL.

Old March 3rd 18, 03:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think ****dress uses them to measure the artificial cervix he had
installed into his ****.

Old March 3rd 18, 03:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Every dial caliper I own (I think every one) or have owned says
shockproof right on the dial. Exactly what shock are they proof
against? Certainly not being dropped.

Finding out they're pregnant.

That might coincide with being dropped. Because when you drop one you h
know a new one is coming soon. LOL.

You're funny on Fridays, Bob. d8-)

--
Ed Huntressh
Old March 3rd 18, 06:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Every dial caliper I own (I think every one) or have owned says
shockproof right on the dial. Exactly what shock are they proof
against? Certainly not being dropped.

Dial pointer jumping, maybe? Crystal integrity?

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
Old March 3rd 18, 05:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/2/2018 6:18 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
Every dial caliper I own (I think every one) or have owned says
shockproof right on the dial.* Exactly what shock are they proof
against?* Certainly not being dropped.

I pulled my two Mitutoyo calipers out of the box and looked at them this
morning. The older metric one does not say shockproof on it, but the
new one my wife got me for my birthday in January does. Doesn't mean I
am not going to put it back in its case in the drawer every single time
I am done using it. LOL.

I think I am going to make a trip over to Harbor Freight and buy a half
dozen of their 20 dollar NTMT dial calipers to leave laying around the
shop for guessing with.

NTMT (Never The Same Measurement Twice)

Old March 4th 18, 12:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Every dial caliper I own (I think every one) or have owned says
shockproof right on the dial. Exactly what shock are they proof
against? Certainly not being dropped.

Dial pointer jumping, maybe? Crystal integrity?

From what the metrology guys tell me..its pointer jumping for the most
part..and having a rugged mechanism inboard. Ive seen more than a few
Chicom calipers that both jumped 0 and busted the guts..while only a
few Teslas, B&S, Mitys etc..and then after a long period of abuse.

Works the same with wrist watches btw. Assuming the shockproof isnt a
lie by the promotion department in China.

Gunner

---

Old March 4th 18, 04:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 3 Mar 2018 10:49:37 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

On 3/2/2018 6:18 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
Every dial caliper I own (I think every one) or have owned says
shockproof right on the dial.* Exactly what shock are they proof
against?* Certainly not being dropped.

I pulled my two Mitutoyo calipers out of the box and looked at them this
morning. The older metric one does not say shockproof on it, but the
new one my wife got me for my birthday in January does. Doesn't mean I
am not going to put it back in its case in the drawer every single time
I am done using it. LOL.

I think I am going to make a trip over to Harbor Freight and buy a half
dozen of their 20 dollar NTMT dial calipers to leave laying around the
shop for guessing with.

NTMT (Never The Same Measurement Twice)

Unless you get the all plastic ones..the HF calipers work just as well
as just about any "good one". They may not last 30 yrs in a busy
shop..but most makers today, foreign and domestic (any domestic makers
left?) make mics and calibers more than good enough..and accurate
enough for home shop and moderate commercial use.

---