Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default AliExpress experience?

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 Mar 2018 15:37:28 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

...I happened to have a wire grid the right
size to raise the food slightly off the bottom and let cold air
underneath.

Good deal with the grid. If there were a flaw in the insulation, a
piece of meat resting on the bottom could rot at that point and not
be
noticed until it was too late.

I had noticed that food on the bottom of my 28F fridge wasn't quite
frozen, so I bought a 2-for-$1 pack of wire racks and folded one to
cover the bottom, with bubble wrap sandwiched inside. The thin
30-gauge thermocouple is very informative.

I'd love to tour the plant where those
are made.

My Sprint 3G and 4G are down today and this dialup is too slow to find
the photos I saw earlier of the Foshan Alpicool factory.

I bought the small fridge second-hand in the 1980's so its doom
could
be near.

Knock on wood.

The loud squeaking when it started and stopped turned out to be from
the electric skillet on top of it.

Running watts w/ w/o comp?

30-35W in Eco mode, 1 Watt at idle. On the high setting it pulled
45-50W.

That's amazingly little power draw. How cool will it run on Eco
with
the t-stat low?

The lowest setting is -20C. I set it at -18C, the Euro standard, which
is 0F. The thermocouple reads 5F ~ 10F at various places. It cycles on
for 2-1/2 minutes, off for 5-1/2, at 60F room temperature. This summer
I'll find out how well it likes roasting in a hot car, if it lasts
that long.

My oldest, weakest SLI31 is powering it right now, recharged from the
100W roof array.

This morning I took it grocery shopping, powered by a Lithium
jumpstarter in the shopping cart and the rear 12V outlet in the car.
Five days of breakfast, lunch and supper fit in snugly. It's light and
narrow enough to carry with one arm so I can open doors with the
other.

-jsw