Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default AliExpress experience?

On Sat, 3 Mar 2018 15:37:28 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 3 Mar 2018 08:57:00 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

A KAW on the Alpicool C20 predicts it using 0.4 KWH per day, for
$2.20
a month as a -18C .freezer.

Not bad at all, but that's a pretty tiny box, only 0.7 c/f.

That it is, which is why I asked about using AliExpress to order a
larger version than Amazon offers, and made a model to experiment
with. I think the 6-7 days of food it holds plus the same in the
fridge is enough. Time will tell.

Yup.

Now that this one has run a while the evaporator tubes show as two
lines of frost all the way around near the upper edge, so they do cool
all four walls, and it's resting on the insulating foamcore footprint
template from my model of it. I happened to have a wire grid the right
size to raise the food slightly off the bottom and let cold air
underneath.

Good deal with the grid. If there were a flaw in the insulation, a
piece of meat resting on the bottom could rot at that point and not be
noticed until it was too late. I'd love to tour the plant where those
are made.

The area of the bottom is about twice that of a Coleman Oscar. I was
satisfied with them for long trips because they fit in the rear
passenger footwells where they are within reach without stopping. One
needs ice, the other has a thermoelectric "cooler" lid. The C20 will
freeze ice packs for the Oscar.

There ya go.

I've never owned a chest-type freezer before and have to learn how
use it, like how much air space to leave, when/how to defrost and
not
letting things get stuck.

That's the pits. When I buy family packs of meat, I always try to
bag
each item separately and freeze them so they don't stick together.
Otherwise, it =all= has to thaw to separate them.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Pray for good cooler/comp lifetime.

I bought the small fridge second-hand in the 1980's so its doom could
be near.

Knock on wood.

Running watts w/ w/o comp?

30-35W in Eco mode, 1 Watt at idle. On the high setting it pulled
45-50W.

That's amazingly little power draw. How cool will it run on Eco with
the t-stat low?

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her