Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shockproof? Really?

Gunner Asch on Sun, 04 Mar 2018 16:16:25 -0800
On Sun, 04 Mar 2018 07:24:09 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Sat, 03 Mar 2018 20:51:05 -0800

Unless you get the all plastic ones..the HF calipers work just as well
as just about any "good one". They may not last 30 yrs in a busy
shop..but most makers today, foreign and domestic (any domestic makers
left?) make mics and calibers more than good enough..and accurate
enough for home shop and moderate commercial use.

I want a dial caliper in fractions of an inch. Because I do a
lot of woodworking using inches and fractions thereof - and I haven't
memorized the drill size conversion charts.
--
pyotr filipivich

You wont find a Dial caliper in fractions. You will however find a
DIGITAL caliper in fractions at...Harbor Freight.

Not to harsh your mellow, but

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...l-dial-caliper

Dial fractional caliper $58.50 measures to 6 1/2 inches

http://www.starrett.com/metrology/pr...detail/1202F-6

Starrett - so you know it is good. They like it too $110.

and in my price range: General Tool at Home Depot

https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Tools-6-in-4-Way-Dial-Caliper-142/100080103

But that's in 1/64ths which is somewhere between decimal and
useful.

Of course, I haven't been by Fast Eddy's Pawn Shop and Brokerage
House to see what they got there. (You should have seen the silly
rifle they had - someone accessorized with more enthusiasm than sense.
If I've had the money, I'd have bought it, just to start hanging more
"stuff off it" - sort of like the Swiss Army Gun or
http://www.weapon-blog.com/2016/01/omg-scary-gun/.)

--
pyotr filipivich