Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shockproof? Really?

On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 11:00:03 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

On 3/3/2018 9:51 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 3 Mar 2018 10:49:37 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

On 3/2/2018 6:18 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
Every dial caliper I own (I think every one) or have owned says
shockproof right on the dial.* Exactly what shock are they proof
against?* Certainly not being dropped.

I pulled my two Mitutoyo calipers out of the box and looked at them this
morning. The older metric one does not say shockproof on it, but the
new one my wife got me for my birthday in January does. Doesn't mean I
am not going to put it back in its case in the drawer every single time
I am done using it. LOL.

I think I am going to make a trip over to Harbor Freight and buy a half
dozen of their 20 dollar NTMT dial calipers to leave laying around the
shop for guessing with.

NTMT (Never The Same Measurement Twice)

Unless you get the all plastic ones..the HF calipers work just as well
as just about any "good one". They may not last 30 yrs in a busy
shop..but most makers today, foreign and domestic (any domestic makers
left?) make mics and calibers more than good enough..and accurate
enough for home shop and moderate commercial use.

---

I've noticed that. Initially atleast they all work just fine, but my 50
year old Companiom mics (cheap, but made in USA) are not very good. I
never really mention it, but my Harbor Freight and Speedway calipers
have held up just as well as my Fowlers. I don't know about the
Mitutoyos, because I am very careful with them, although my old metric
one may have been dropped once or twice before it came to me. Its got
some of that spongy accuracy like a badly treated Harbor Freight one.

My cheap Speedway mics are nearly as accurate as my ancient Starrets
after adjustment. I checked them all at atleast 3 points in their
travel with gage blocks. I also found atleast compared to the Starret
standards that my 4 inch gage block is off by almost a thousandth. LOL.

Ive got Starrett, Brown and Sharp and NSK mike sets up to 14"
Ive also got some mechanical digital Mities that go from 1-12"

I brokered a deal 2 weeks ago for Starretts up to 48" and pi tapes to
20 feet.

And of course..ID bar mikes to 14'

Gunner