Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R. Birch David R. Birch is offline

Default Shockproof? Really?

On 3/2/2018 7:18 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
Every dial caliper I own (I think every one) or have owned says
shockproof right on the dial.Â* Exactly what shock are they proof
against?Â* Certainly not being dropped.

My first dial caliper was a Starrett, because I thought it was quality.
No cover over the rack and no way to reset it when it jumped on a chip.

After that, I bought cheap ones because I found that none lasted well in
the shop environment. I'd pick up 3 at the local Enco store or Harbor
Fright, they were accurate enough and would last about 2 years, then
back for 3 more. I tried a few digital ones, but I had to pull the
battery when I'd put it away or it would be dead the next time I needed
it. Turning it off just seemed to turn off the display, not the whole unit.

Now that I'm retired, I keep finding new ones in odd places around the
house. Why did I put that there?

David

---
http://www.avg.com