Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default AliExpress experience?

On Sat, 3 Mar 2018 08:57:00 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

...The acoustic tile box should be enough to conceal it from
thieves driving by. I can't hear it from the street if a car is
within 1/4 mile.

Including the car they are in.

The driver may let off the thieves, and I have seen non-running, unlit
cars drive past my house at night in the past. Pop the trash bag in
the garbage can and then hear tire noise drifting by. Hmmm...

Yabbut, the bad guys have impeccable hearing and sense of smell.
sigh

Other people' generators are louder.

That only means yours will be the last to be stolen. Criminals are
nothing if not persistent when they sense a gold mine. They work so
hard to avoid work, I swear.

There are enough unstealable generators on concrete pads to blanket
the area with omnidirectional engine noise. I think I can run mine for
an hour or two at meal times and use the batteries between and
overnight. That plan is based on bad weather more than theft risk. In
good weather my 300W of solar panels may be enough.

Yeah, that's good.

A KAW on the Alpicool C20 predicts it using 0.4 KWH per day, for $2.20
a month as a -18C .freezer.

Not bad at all, but that's a pretty tiny box, only 0.7 c/f.

It ran 2:00 hours on a Whistler 'Mighty' Lithium jumpstarter that I
can use for grocery shopping trips, on the deep cycle low battery
voltage cutoff setting. The car battery setting cuts off at a higher
voltage so the car will still be able to start.

I've never owned a chest-type freezer before and have to learn how
use it, like how much air space to leave, when/how to defrost and
not
letting things get stuck.

That's the pits. When I buy family packs of meat, I always try to bag
each item separately and freeze them so they don't stick together.
Otherwise, it =all= has to thaw to separate them.

I do have a Fluke thermocouple meter to
measure temperatures around the compartment.

That's good. I read that Danfoss catalog and was impressed at how
much info they crammed in there. Wow!

I think the compressor may be a copy, it has an Alpicool label and the
schematic is different. The blue metal-cased wattmeter recorded peak
startup currents around 4~5A.

Pray for good cooler/comp lifetime. Running watts w/ w/o comp?

So far I'm happy with it as long as it doesn't break. The car has a
12V outlet in the back and tie-down eyes.to keep cargo from sliding,
which the motor cover grills might not stand up to very well. The
cover was dinged when I received it. The C20 seems more suited to the
'burbs than the boonies.

Bad packing or bad handling before boxing? G'luck with it.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her