Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Maplin meltdown

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
Those will be all the same weight.

Do you ever shop?
Try Sainsburys baking spuds they are never the same weight.
Or a cabbage or a cauliflower.

The bar code could either contain the exact weight or tell the system it
will be within certain limits.

Yes you could do that but most stuff is in preprinted bags and has the
same barcode.

I get the impression you've not used a self service checkout.

I use them most of the time, none of what I use check the items weight.
Most of the items have significantly variable weights.
The prepacked fruit and veg can vary by 50+%.

Try Tesco - their latest software is giving (even more) problem with the
weight of things after scanning.

I was in there last week but I self scan so there is no need to use the
checkouts.

With the old you had to place your own bag on the scales then press done.
The new tries to get round that. Gawd knows why.

Maybe you have a different experience because they don't trust the
customers much where you are and do try and check every item?