Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Maplin meltdown

"dennis@home" wrote in message
On 02/03/2018 11:37, Andy Burns wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

The machine weighs stuff so you can't put it on without scanning, very
few of them actually check the product weight against what is expected.

IME they all weigh the products and know the expected weight, the
problems come when you add e.g. one bag of quavers after a 4x2litre pack
of bottled water ...

They certainly do not know the weights.
They can't know the weights of prepacked fresh stuff for a start.
They also don't check the weights of stuff they might be able too in any
of the supermarkets I use.
Next time you are in try putting a box of stuff on at the same time as
putting say the free magazine on the scales.

So are you saying that the scales only look for an increase in weight (and
don't care about the size of the increase) to denote that an item (not
necessarily the one whose bar code has just been scanned) has been placed in
the bag?

I shall have to test that theory when I'm next shopping by scanning one item
and putting a different item on the bagging scale. I think you are wrong but
I'm happy to be corrected. As regards prepacked fresh items, I presumed that
the bar code of every item was different to encode not just the item's ID
but also its weight.