3GCPO

Default Cabinet Installation Advice Needed

"Michael Roback" wrote in message
.net...

Want to check something out here! I had a "cabinet maker/finish

carpenter"
install some kitchen cabinets. When I looked at the hanging ledgers I
noticed that he had drilled about 5-6 holes through the cabinet for every
connection point until he found the stud. When asked why he didn't use a
stud finder, he replied ... they don't work. Why he didn't nail pilot

nails
in the wall so all I would have is nail holes to spackle I don't know?
Question is, with multiple holes drilled in a row spaced a quarter of an
inch which penetrate/break/ the venier of the strip, isn't the integrity

of
the connection compromised and doesn't it present a possible failure in

the
case of an earthquake?

Secondly, is it customary for a cabinet maker to drill multiple screws
through and into the interior of cabinets? Wouldn't it be customary to
measure the length of screw one needs so that it does not penetrate the
finish material?

And lastly, this person fabricated some bath cabinets and mis-corred for

the
stubouts and so to correct his, rather than replacing the back on the
cabinet, he chose to cut out some melamine patches the dimension of the
interior of the cabinet and affix them back. You can see the patch and it
reduces the working room of the stubouts by about 1/4-1/2" (not a big

deal)
but not necessary. He had the cabinet completely out to work on it. Why
wouldn't he have not replaced the back completely?

Thanks in advance for your help. I am just wanting to do some reality
testing so that I know I am not mis-interpreting the way it should be

done!

all studs are usually found behind the base cabinets and marked with a
pencil so they can be transferred to the wall cabinets and should be
pre-drilled into the hanging rail before installation.

always remember
measure twice, drill / cut once.

sounds like you hired a very un-handy man!

he probably used sheetrock screws to hang them.
oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!