Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default AliExpress experience?

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 09:05:48 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

I was amazed at my ten years on the Tundra battery, so you should be
in awe of the 17 years. The battery, charging system, and user were
all in sync, a very unusual occurrence.

As batteries age they may require more than the normal vehicle
charging voltage.
http://shop.pkys.com/Battery-Equalization_ep_44.html

I turn up my LM350 charger until the current reads 0.5 - 1 Amp, being
careful not to go too high and damage any electronics. Usually 15V is
enough for a road vehicle battery that still has enough capacity to
start, the U1R in my garden tractor which gets less use sometimes
needs 17V.

After removing the vent caps I put clear packaging tape over the
openings to control acid spatter. I can still see the electrolyte
level and how much they are bubbling, or if one weak cell isn't when
all the others are.

When the current falls below 1% of the Amp-hour capacity at =14.0V I
consider the charging complete. Those numbers vary somewhat among
manufacturers.

I've been given "dead" batteries that an automatic charger could no
longer charge, but which recovered well and lasted several years when
charged once at higher voltage. They weren't completely cured, they
still needed a somewhat higher charging voltage each time, and monthly
attention to prevent or recover from the high resistance condition
called sulfation.

I think this forced current, voltage-adaptive charging is the secret
to long battery life.

I needed a larger
freezer compartment more than a second pure sine inverter.

I hear that. When I upgrade from the 2kw HF mod sine, it could be
one of these Taiwanese jobs: https://is.gd/n4nRNd 5kva 4000w 48V
230v Solar inverter off grid 80A MPPT solar LCD remote controller.
and add at least 3kw more panels.

Or, when I'm rich and famous, hang a couple Powerwalls on 10kw of
panels and call it good.

I run a generator when I need a lot of power for a short time, like at
meals. If not for the fridge's AC motor and 12A starting surge I could
live with a 300W MSW inverter. The genny has a folding doghouse made
from fireproof acoustic ceiling panels to quiet it and support
corrugated roofing panels in wet weather. I should probably upgrade it
to a more hurricane- and blizzard-proof model.
-jsw