Paul Furman

Default Fake Lawn on Wood Deck

Ah that recent post reminds me tar paper felt might be another thing to
use under the carpet but I don't know how to seal the seams. At least
the staples/tacks would self seal their holes and it wouldn't be
slippery between the layers like plastic sheeting.

Paul Furman wrote:
Thin plywood or a layer of tongue & groove wood flooring is another
option but that sounds inexpensive. I'd need to caulk the plywood or
find tongue & groove edges & get marine grade.

Here's a diagram of the 20' x 8' deck:

garden

5' 10' 5'
___ ___
| |__||| | 3'
| |
|____________| 5'
20'

house

Paul Furman wrote:

I know it's a total redneck solution but I want to rainproof under the
deck and improve traction on the shady mossy slippery surface on the
deck. There is no frost here... mild climate.

If I use 6 mil black plastic liner and a staple gun will that work? I
guess I'd tape the seams of the plastic liner but maybe it'd still
drip through the staple holes. Doesn't need to be perfect. Rubber
liner sounds expensive. Actually the nicer quality fake lawn at Lowes
is $4.46/SF & would cost $700 but maybe I can find a better price
somewhere or it's just a stupid idea I should forget.

Outdoor carpeting for boats is applied with double sided tape or glue
but that won't work with the liner below and would be a permanent
mess. Normal carpet is applied with those deadly looking spiky strips
but I'm not sure that works with this thinner fake lawn stuff. There
is one spot where it needs to be flush at the steps or run it all the
way down the steps too. That might encourage rot since the treads are
all enclosed on three sides.

This only needs to last 5-10 years and we'll remodel & tear down the
deck. Plastic "linoleum" doesn't sound suitable outdoors, too slippery?