Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default AliExpress experience?

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 14:25:22 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 09:26:14 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

The SLI31MDC I bought around 2007 or 2008 to run a winch is
noticeably weakening.

That's an amazing lifetime for a DCLA. Most are rated for 3
years.

No, I meant that nearly every article or guide I've read--about
using
marine deep cycle batteries for solar--says that their lifetime,
being
charged daily, is usually only 3 years. Rolls-Surrette and Trojan
are
good for about a decade. I'm not sure about the new RE-rated batts.

I picked the SLI31MDCs for economical backup use, as I don't consider
daily cycling to be practical here. I have to move the 100W Grape
panels several times a day to dodge tree shadows, even in winter, and
that's acceptable only for tests or during outages. We had another
close call with icing yesterday, light freezing drizzle.

I saw the BMS data logs from some field-return Lithium packs show as
much as 20% capacity loss in under a year.

That's horrible! Tesla or Segway? What percentage of them? Same
formula as current lithium ions? LI or LIPO4 (which I've heard
horror
stories about)?

That was at a company I don't think I've named here, that didn't make
consumer products. The batteries had sophisticated management systems
and were well designed to be very reliable, and mostly they were. I
don't remember seeing any problems with Segway batteries other than
old age and have no experience with Tesla.

I've never seen a Lithium reach the 17 year life of my truck's
battery, though I have some laptop packs that came close. I'm still
using about half of the Ray-O-Vac Renewal rechargeable alkalines I
bought in the 1990s.

Some Xantrex inverters have a load sense function that idles them to
reduce battery drain when they aren't needed, like late at night when
the fridge is off and there are no other loads. I needed a larger
freezer compartment more than a second pure sine inverter.
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm
"The datasheet shows 14.4W (about 1.2A) no load current, but this is
in the "load sense" mode, which doesn't provide any power for things
like the microwave clock, and other very small loads. In order for
these things to work, "load sense" needs to be turned off. With "load
sense" turned off, this inverter draws more like 60W (5A) with no, or
little load."

That's worse than the APC1400's no-load 40W.

-jsw