Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Assembly Bench Completed

On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 11:19:39 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 2/24/2018 12:04 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 11:47:30 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 2/23/2018 12:03 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/23/2018 8:58 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/20/2018 9:31 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/19/2018 4:30 PM, Jack wrote:
On 2/18/2018 6:41 PM,
wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

See? The fishing works. ;-)

I like it. A lot! How do you deal with cutting the top of the bench?

I built my cutting bench on a solid-core door with a sheet of 3/4" MDF
just sitting on top, held in place by side rails 1/4" shy of the
surface. I'm not short on space so portability wasn't important. It's
on casters but it never moves more than a foot or two.

Wasn't it you that bought that goofy accordion folding work table "the
centipede" I think it was called? Everyone got all over the Comet
cause he thought it looked gimmick-ee.

Anyway, this thing Leon built I've seen on YouTube before. Looks ok
but takes up lots of floor/wall space.

When not in use and being stored it has a foot print of 20"x17". You
probably take up more space when you are staining in the shop.

From the picture and your comments, you say it has a full sheet of
plywood on top. To me, a full sheet of plywood wouldn't fit on
anything 20x17"?

Picture this, the work bench is "2" sections, side by side. Each is 96"
long, 20" wide, and 8.5" tall. If I stand both on end, 96" tall, with
the bottom of one against the top of the other the foot print is 20"x17".

You lost me on the 96" long part. It's not clear how you get the long
96" dimension to store against the wall in a 20x8.5" space?

Anyway, it looks OK if you need it, and have space for it. Kevin has
space for it, I personally don't really need it, nor have any space
for it if I did need it.

With that comment, I would recommend that you not build one for yourself.

Thanks, I'll take your advice on that. I think Kevin should build one,
he won't even need to store it with his 2000' shop. Make it same height
as TS and he has a nice out feed table if he doesn't already have one.

If you mean me (it's "Keith", BTW), no it wouldn't be good for an
outfeed table, for the same reasons. I don't currently have one,
mostly because it hasn't floated to the top of the "do" list. But
when I do build one, it'll be made the same way as my cutting table. I
already have the parts (though haven't decided if I want it on
wheels).

Yes, sorry about the name, I always thought you were Kevin, not sure
why. Also not sure what "the same reasons" are you mention that it
wouldn't work as an outfeed table?

No problem with the name. I don't use it often on the Usenet, so I
wouldn't expect anyone to remember. They usually just use the
initials.

I didn't say it wouldn't work. It's whole purpose is to save space,
which is of no consequence for me. I'd rather have the outfeed table
as a permanent feature.

What I don't like about it, assuming you are not tearing it down between
uses, is it has no storage. I would put it on wheels, put drawered
cabinet under the top and make it the right height for the TS outfeed.
I try to have cabinets under most of my big tools, other than drill
press, planer and shaper.

Exactly. Drawers take a lot of time to make, which is something I'm
dearly short of. Of course, right now I have time but can't
physically do the work (for the same reason I have time ;-).