Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default AliExpress experience?

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 09:26:14 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

I ordered the Alpicool C20 for $239. It's small and light enough to
use in the car, big enough to hold 6 days of breakfast, lunch and
supper. Hopefully it can run all night on the jumpstarter type
sealed
battery pack I've been using with an inefficient thermoelectric
cooler
in the car.

Yeeouch on the price.

It's in the midrange for mini and compact refrigerators. I asked about
Ali because the C20 is the largest Amazon offers.
An unpowered, you-add-ice Yeti cooler of the same capacity costs $200.

Aren't those jumpstarters a 1.3Ah battery
coupled with a capacitor? I mounted a 48w (Sears/China watts;
actual
draw 27w) on a 12v 1.3Ah battery and it's a helluva flashlight. One
of these days, I'll have to test the lifetime. It makes a great
worklight.

This one holds two 12V 18Ah AGMs.
https://www.amazon.com/Century-BPIP-...ews/B00004TZKU

Maybe the combination can serve as a fridge with UPS, as long as the
jumpstarter's charger can keep up without overcharging the battery.
That's easy to test with my datalogging setup.

Let me know the startup and running current draws when you received
it. Very curious here. I've never seen a 12/24vdc compressor.

Sorry, the HF 99857 is "Not available for shipment to CA and OR."

That's extremely funny, considering the import point is Long Beach,
CA. I wonder what inherent evil they house to require them to be
warded from the Republik of Kalifornia and mostly-red Blue state of
Oregon.

https://info.orrsafety.com/blog/new-...nuary-1st-2017

Are you still allowed to have fire or sharp-edged rocks?

The SLI31MDC I bought around 2007 or 2008 to run a winch is
noticeably
weakening.

That's an amazing lifetime for a DCLA. Most are rated for 3 years.

Because they will die if left uncharged that long. The auto stores
here try to recharge their stock after 18 months, or unload them at a
good discount. Unfortunately they never have what I can use.

Alternate energy is great to impose on others, as long as you
don't
have to put up with the inconvenience of it yourself.

Done right, it's almost invisible rather than inconvenient.

If you know how, please share it. Most of my industrial battery
experience was tending to the needs of Lithiums.

Many solar owners I've talked with spray off their panels (in the
cool
of the morning) and check/fill batteries twice a year. Others spend
time optimizing the spit out of them, so it depends on the mindset.
I thought BMSes did all the hard work on lithiums. According to Kim
on LoveTesla and Richard on fullychargedshow (YT), the Powerwalls
are
plug and forget.

Plug and ignore, because they are maintenance-proof.
I saw the BMS data logs from some field-return Lithium packs show as
much as 20% capacity loss in under a year.

-jsw