Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley Rob Morley is offline

Default Multi Tool suitability for electrical back box installation

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 14:04:50 +0000
Vortex13 wrote:

Hello,

I am about to refurbish a 1960's flat. Walls therefore are plaster
on masonry (brick) and I intend to install 8 "new" double sockets so
will need to recess that number of steel back boxes. Not something I
have done for some years.....when I did I used an angle grinder and
it was horribly messy/dusty.

A scutch hammer (or hammer and scutch chisel) or a masonry drill
(followed by a cold chisel) will do just fine.

I have been advised that a so called "multi tool" is the dogs'
danglies for cutting neat holes these days, and am inclined to obtain
one along with suitable carbide blade/cutter tools. My instinct is
mains/corded and 300 Watts-ish.

Can anybody comment on using multi tools for such applications? I'm
most interested in experiences (negative or positive) and hardware
recommendations.

These tools are designed to cut sheet material, not masonry.