Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Multi Tool suitability for electrical back box installation

On 19/02/2018 14:04, Vortex13 wrote:
Hello,

I am about to refurbish a 1960's flat. Walls therefore are plaster on
masonry (brick) and I intend to install 8 "new" double sockets so will
need to recess that number of steel back boxes. Not something I have
done for some years.....when I did I used an angle grinder and it was
horribly messy/dusty.

I have been advised that a so called "multi tool" is the dogs' danglies
for cutting neat holes these days, and am inclined to obtain one along
with suitable carbide blade/cutter tools. My instinct is mains/corded
and 300 Watts-ish.

Can anybody comment on using multi tools for such applications? I'm
most interested in experiences (negative or positive) and hardware
recommendations.

About the only bit of this job they are well suited to is when you need
to cut a neat hole in a tiled surface. However, once through the tiles
you would switch to a SDS and / or wall chaser.

--
Cheers,

John.