Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default Country lanes - no curbs

On 19-Feb-18 2:14 PM, DerbyBorn wrote:
Was thiunking as I drove along a lane with deep ruts where the tarmac met
the grass - and wondering what damage it may have done to the vehicle -
that such lanes are a problem - the tarmak crumbles at the edges and keeps
breaking away.
Clearly constucting a road with curbs (kurbs?) woudld be costly - but
having seen a machine continuously casting a centre barrier I wondered is a
machine could do it.

Imagine a rotating trenching mechanism - toothed wheel - followed up by a
concrete mixing and filling machine - possibly dropping in some
reinforcement.

Could it work?

The problem with kerbs is that they trap water and require drainage to
be added. The simpler solution is to build the roads a couple of feet
wider and paint a white line a couple of feet in from the edge. That
provides the edges with just enough protection from the effects of heavy
vehicles.

Colin Bignell