Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default Sears Radial Arm Saw Motor Problems

On 2/19/2018 12:14 AM, Ed wrote:
replying to gtannenb, Ed wrote:
You probably just need to replace the capacitor on the saw.Â* Here's a
video to
show you how to do it. https://youtu.be/RVC5nCOSA4c

I have no idea of what motor you have but if it has a capacitor, the
motor may be similar to my sear 10" table saw motor. It has a
capacitor but there is a mechanical switch that can get wood chips in
it. If there is saw dust and wood chips in the switch, it will appear
the capacitor has failed.

The fix is cheap and easy. You can clean it with a vacuum sweeper. On
some motor you can reach the switch by removing the plate on the end of
the motor. On others you have to partially disassemble the motor.
Again do carefully and all parts are returned to the motor. It is quite
easy and can be done in a few minutes.

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre