Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT Cloud cuckoo land.

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 00:12:43 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:
But it has been common for a very long time for people not to stay
long in their first job. They can usually get higher wages and
promotion more easily by moving companies.

Before I started freelancing, I jumped jobs a few times

In every case it was not because I wasn't being paid enough

Same here. It was down to poor working conditions and boring work.

Exactly why tube drivers are well paid. ;-)

As an aside and whilst I get the thought, has anyone here been a tube
driver to be able to say just how 'boring' it is (or isn't)?

Ok, I can understand how when observed from a job some might consider
'interesting', we are all different (psychometric profile) and
therefore would be 'entertained' by different things.

So, from a day-to-day POV I guess it's fundamentally fairly
straightforward but do they have rotas and rosters that mean they
could be driving different routes, either daily or occasionally?

Whilst 'most trips' are uneventful (certainly as seen by the
passengers), who knows what may have happened and was 'dealt with' by
the driver ... be it a signaling issue, minor malfunction or summat
else?

Or how would 'most people' deal with a jumper ... or some terrorist
action on their train?

Whilst there are accidents at work ... operating heavy machinery etc
you are probably more likely to only hurt yourself because you screw
up, rather than be hurt as a result of other peoples actions.
Similarly, I wouldn't think most blue collar workers are responsible
for thousands of peoples lives, every singe working day. That might
make the job 'interesting' to some?

And of course, for some people, 'trains' or even public transport in
general is something they love to be involved in, sometimes at any
level, with a 'driver' being the top of their list. ;-)

And then there is the 'community'. Such workers are usually in groups,
teams or gangs and often build up very good, strong and lifelong
relationships with their fellow workers.

I think it's deffo 'a career', rather than just 'a job' for most of
them.

Just thinking out loud ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m