Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 09:10:01 -0800, ultred ragnusen

He could be referencing the special torque bars that are used by many
tire shops. They look like an extension bar, but they come in
different thicknesses and are color coded to indicate the torque which
can be applied using each one.

I just mean the right-angle simple bar extension that you have to have in
order to keep the torque wrench away from the sidewall of the tire.

You have to have an extension no matter what, because the torque wrench
hits the tire sidewall because the lug nuts are on the hub but the tire
sidewall sticks out a few inches.

That is where a deep socket comes in handy

Even a deep socket isn't long enough, so the least I can add by way of
extension is a deep socket plus a 2 or 3 inch extension bar (whatever I
have that is shortest).

Depends on the vehicle/rim.

I was asking if I used a 3 inch extension bar off the deep socket, or, if I
used a 6 inch extension bar, would it matter for the torque?

I think not - but I've heard people say use the shortest extension bar you
can get your hands on. I don't understand why. It should be the same torque
if I used a 16-inch extension bar, right?

No difference in torque, but a short offset makes it less likely you
will end up going "off square" from the nut