Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 08:49:51 -0800, ultred ragnusen

Lacking an actual torque wrench, be sure to use equal pressure on all
the nuts. I use a two step process. First, tighten them to just snug
using a cross pattern. Then go back and tighten each one as evenly as
you can feel to tight, but don't kill them. Hard to decribe but you
don't want to stand on the wrench to get them very tight.

The only way I know to "test" (but not "calibrate") a torque wrench is to
have a double-headed bolt contraption that is long enough for two sockets
to fit face to face.

Then I would put a torque wrench on each end, and lock one in a vise and
twist the other where they should both show the same torque.

That only "tests" them.
I don't know how to calibrate them because both could be wrong.
And you have to "adjust" them if they are.

Does anyone know how to calibrate a torque wrench at home?

Clamp the square end in a vice and hang a known weight on the handle
exactly one foot from the center of the square. Or use 18 inches or 2
feet and adjust the math.