Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 09:00:02 -0800, ultred ragnusen

First question is what is the practical difference between these three 21mm
(13/16ths) "sockets" for the lug bolts on the car I was working on today?
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/17/socket_ends.jpg
1. The standard lug wrench (green) has 6 points, each at a sharp angle.
2. The impact socket (black) has 6 points, each at a semicircular angle.
3. The standard socket (chrome) has 12 points, each at a sharp angle.

The impact socket is superior for that application - whether using an
impact driver or not. A 12 point socket is better in situations where
fine motion is required.

This is good to know that the impact socket is superior, probably for two
reasons, right?
1. It has those radius corners (someone said it reduces stress on both the
nuts and the socket itself).
2. It is stronger overall (presumably)

Since there is always a drawback, I think the drawback might be:
3. They're "fatter" it seems, than my normal sockets
4. They don't seem to come in 12-point sizes (at least mine aren't)

That's because 12 point sockets are not the best to use on an impact
- as discussed previously.

And yes, they ARE fatter - because they REALLY need to be.