Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
ultred ragnusen ultred ragnusen is offline

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

wrote:

How many of those 800 objects would eventually cause a blowout?

In my experience of 40 years of driving all my punctures have been made
by objects long enough to go straight through the tyre the moment I
drove over it.

By your logic if 10% of the shards could result in a puncture would all
of us that don't preform this task expect around one puncture per month?

I can't stake my mortgage on the percentage but I did say one tenth of one
percent, and I did easily count over fifty objects per tire, which is about
800 objects per year, which let's just call 1000 objects in a year for
simplicity of math per set of four tires.

One tenth of one percent of that number is 1 slow leak a year due to
shards, which I agree might be too much.

How many slow leaks have you had over the years?

If it's a slow-or-fast leak once every ten years due to an object
penetrating the carcass, then the percentage is roughly about one-hundredth
of one percent.

How often do you get a leak (slow or fast) in your tires due to object
penetration?

I think the (slow or fast) leak due to an object penetrating the carcass
percentage is somewhere in between the one tenth of one percent and one
hundredth of one percent, don't you think?

Statistically speaking, I get your drift that it isn't worth removing
shards from a tire just to prevent a slow leak every couple of years, but,
anecdotally, what do you think this shard would have done, over time?
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/18/splinter3.jpg