Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

On 18/02/2018 21:29, ultred ragnusen wrote:

Do the 4-sided openings in European sockets conform to the same standard
1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" sizes we use in America? Or do the Europeans use a
metric sized drive square?

Yep, standard 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 square drives which can be used with both
imperial and metric hex/12 point sockets.

It would as long as the only point of that loosely fitting extension tube
touching the torque wrench were at the place that you would have put your
hand on the torque wrench.

I guess if you put a tightly fitting extension tube over the torque wrench
of a length that doubles the torque wrench length, then you'd get a
"reading" of (half? double?) on the torque wrench.

Let me think about that.... (would it be double or half?).

You can place you hands on any part of a click type torque wrench to get
it to work correctly.

Upon a few moments of circumspection, I'm not sure, but I think you'd
get a
reading that is half what it actually is??????

No, the end of the torque wrench would move exactly the same distance.
The end of the extension would move by twice the distance as the end of
the torque wrench.