Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
ultred ragnusen ultred ragnusen is offline

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

wrote:

These telescopic bars have a normal 1/2 inch square drive that any 1/2
drive socket can fit into. You don't have to use the socket it comes with.

Oh. Thanks. That's good because any decent toolbox has a set of 1/4", 3/8",
and 1/2" metric and SAE sockets.

Hmmmm... I just realized that those socket sizes are in SAE units, and not
in metric units.

Do the 4-sided openings in European sockets conform to the same standard
1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" sizes we use in America? Or do the Europeans use a
metric sized drive square?

It's not a torque wrench - its just a wrench with a telescopic handle
that is at least twice as long as that which normally comes with the car
kit. It gives you much more leverage when trying to free the nut. It's
the same principle of adding a scaffolding over over an existing wrench
bar to make it longer.

Oh. I see. Yes. We all have used a pipe in times of need, to extend our
leverage. Most of us have pretty long "breaker bars" though, which is what
I would use if I needed the torque to remove a bolt.

It must be a clever internal mechanism that calculates the torque correctly
when you can change the distance along the lever!

It you added an extension tube to the end of a normal click type torque
wrench to make the handle twice as long and you applied your pressure to
the end this extension wouldn't the torque wrench still click at the
correct torque?

It would as long as the only point of that loosely fitting extension tube
touching the torque wrench were at the place that you would have put your
hand on the torque wrench.

I guess if you put a tightly fitting extension tube over the torque wrench
of a length that doubles the torque wrench length, then you'd get a
"reading" of (half? double?) on the torque wrench.

Let me think about that.... (would it be double or half?).

Upon a few moments of circumspection, I'm not sure, but I think you'd get a
reading that is half what it actually is??????