Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

On 18/02/2018 20:44, ultred ragnusen wrote:
wrote:

Much better to
discard it and get something with a longer handle
https://tinyurl.com/yag6ddqr

That "teloscopic torque wrench" was a new tool to my eyes!
(Too bad it doesn't take a socket because it's 17/19 & while I need 21mm).

These telescopic bars have a normal 1/2 inch square drive that any 1/2
drive socket can fit into. You don't have to use the socket it comes with.

It's not a torque wrench - its just a wrench with a telescopic handle
that is at least twice as long as that which normally comes with the car
kit. It gives you much more leverage when trying to free the nut. It's
the same principle of adding a scaffolding over over an existing wrench
bar to make it longer.

It must be a clever internal mechanism that calculates the torque correctly
when you can change the distance along the lever!

It you added an extension tube to the end of a normal click type torque
wrench to make the handle twice as long and you applied your pressure to
the end this extension wouldn't the torque wrench still click at the
correct torque?