Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 23:37:53 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 22:49:51 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 16:48:03 -0800, ultred ragnusen
wrote:

Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools on this vehicle
whose tires I rotated today and which I plan on rotating every 4K miles (6K
km).

First question is what is the practical difference between these three 21mm
(13/16ths) "sockets" for the lug bolts on the car I was working on today?
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/17/socket_ends.jpg
1. The standard lug wrench (green) has 6 points, each at a sharp angle.
2. The impact socket (black) has 6 points, each at a semicircular angle.
3. The standard socket (chrome) has 12 points, each at a sharp angle.

Only use 6 point sockets on lug nuts, breaker bar or impact.
They are never really that precise, they tend to have rounder corners
and they are softer than most nuts.

I will have to respectfully dissagree with you on 12 point sockets.
High quality 12 point sockets are a JOY to work with - and with hand
tools (ratchet and torque wrench) I have NEVER had an issue with them
being too soft. I have split ONE good 12 poit (early craftsman) along
with several crappy off-brands - but I have split quite a few 6
points.

If you are using chrome lug nuts with sharp corners a 12 point
probably works fine but if you are talking about garden variety
factory lug nuts that have "been around" a while, a 12 point is a lot
more likely to just round them off than a 6 point. Have you ever seen
a tire store using 12 point sockets on lug nuts?