Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Default WRF is non-adult social care?

On 15/02/2018 21:37, Tim Ward wrote:

Anyway, no point in remembering rules, as nowadays councils are
introducing so many new traffic calming measures, nobody has a ****ing
clue who goes first etc.

Councils can only do what's within the law - council officers tend to
refuse instructions from councillors to put up illegal signs (I know,
I've tried). So the rules are the same everywhere, councils just can't
go round inventing new ones no matter how much they might like to.

It took several years to get the government to change the law to allow
us to put up "no entry except cyclists" signs - and now that they are
legal they could appear anywhere in the country.

So yes the rules are likely to have changed since you (or I) took the
test, but not by much, and not by anything major, and they'll have
changed uniformly across the country, not randomly by council.

I've got several junctions around here where they've removed the give
way lines.* People just guess who goes first or wave at each other.

We have several of those. We also have one just round the corner with
"give way" on all four approaches. No trouble with any of them. I think
the trick is for everybody approaching the junction to think to
themselves "I've got no actual real need to drive through this junction
like a complete and utter prick, so I think I'll simply refrain from
doing so".

We've got one of those. Typically everyone stops to let the other(s) go,
then decides that they've stopped to let them go, so they all set off at
once and then slam the brakes on. Happens all the time.

SteveW