Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT Cloud cuckoo land.

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 23:21:38 +0000, (Roger Hayter)
wrote:

Fredxx wrote:

snip

I was always told the left side had the logic, and right side didn't.
Tim must therefore be right sided.

I see what you mean then. True, he doesn't appear to accept that
corollary of his position. I think he secretly suspects that he reaches
the conclusions he does because he simply has a *better* brain than the
rest of us.

And yet another classic 'left brainer' reply.

You see, someone who is 'left brained' (actually 'left brain
dominant') is typically less likely to be interested in understanding
the actual situation, preferring to stick with whatever 'current
understanding' best suits their mind set.

So, there actually could have some value in what you said (right
brainer reaction) in that in that if we are talking of the ability to
'read between the lines', then yes, a 'right brainer' would be better
at that than a left brainer.

Like, imagine the left brain stores all the words you know, the right
brain strings them together in the sequences you compute and / or have
learned over the years. If your / this 'memory' was more dominant in
your right brain and your right brain was hit by a stroke, you still
hold all the words but have difficult accessing them. When you forget
someone's name or the name of something, you haven't actually
forgotten the name, you simply aren't able to recall it and once you
do, it's not something you have re-learned but now 'remember'.

Conversely, loss some functionality of the left brain words store,
then you do actually forget the actual words and when prompted, are
sure you have never heard of them before.

You can easily see all this in action here pretty often when someone
puts up a question and 'some people' seem to be less able at
determining what was actually asked or expected and therefore giving
an appropriate reply (in depth and complexity).

These people will then often 'complain' when, often out of politeness
the situation is expanded on further by the OP, even after a solution
has been offered and used because those 'other' people haven't seen
the reply (killfiles, again, potentially a brain handedness thing) or
are so focused on what they consider to be 'their solution', the miss
everything else.

Maybe the reason I have been an IT support guy all my life and manned
(single-handedly) a 'Telephone Help Desk' for 5 years is my ability
(FWIW etc) to listen to what people are actually saying whilst being
able to read (hear) between the lines. eg, If a customer rings up
ranting and raving and demanding an engineer straight away it was my
'job' to ensure beyond reasonable doubt that the fault did lay with
our equipment and no elsewhere (BT / others). However, what was most
likely to earn their cooperation wasn't shouting back, or putting the
phone down is engaging them with some empathy and *gently* explaining
that (in many cases) the fault might be elsewhere and that *it would
be in their interest* we do some basic tests first to determine such.
In many cases, once they calm down, we do the tests and we prove the
fault is indeed elsewhere, they are far more respectful and often
apologise for their initial outbursts. They had no need to apologise
to me because I *understood* their position / situation and was fairly
sure that in 99% of the cases they were simply reacting to the
position they were in (which was often outside their skillset).

ITRW what I was actually (also) doing was protecting our engineering
resources as we couldn't afford (both in manpower and financially) to
be sending people all round the country on 'wild good chases'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m