Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Attaching Castor to Wooden Bench Leg

On 16/02/2018 21:10, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 12:51:31 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Friday, 16 February 2018 20:33:42 UTC, tonkski wrote:
I want to raise a workbench up by a few inches, and thought it would be handy to do this usIng suitable braked castors so that I can move the bench around more easily. The legs of the bench are 80 x 60 mm in section and made of softwood. I can't find any suitable castors with a rectangular top plate of the right dimensions, so I was thinking of using castors with a single bolt hole, attached using a 10mm dia screw. This is the kind of castor I'm thinking of:

http://www.rosscastors.co.uk/100mm-s...ber-wheel.html

Would this work? Any better suggestions please.

why would it not work?

If the work bench is going to get some serious loading, might not
nylon casters be better, more rigid?

Or something like this, but a bit meatier?
http://www.firstcastors.com/en/super...wivel-castor-2

It depends how often the OP wants to move the bench.

how will you brake it?

The link given by the OP shows that both unbraked and braked versions
are available. IME, the brakes on these castors are not always 100%
effective, although they might be better on rubber, more for the brake
to bite into IYSWIM.