Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Locked out -- my own fault

On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 1:35:45 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 5:46:53 PM UTC-5, Dave, I can't do that wrote:

Before breaking out the drills to drill out the locks, any suggestions on how I
might learn the key profile after drilling one? I have six locked thingies all
keyed alike and I do not want to have to buy six new locks.

The technique you want is called "impressioning". It does not destroy the
lock, and it leaves you with a working key. (For details, do a search on
that word.)

Or if you can get a good enough photo of the key with your endoscope, you
can use the services of https://www.key.me/

Very cool. Plenty of opportunity for abuse, too. I seem to remember either a news report or a TV show plot concerning a key made from a picture of someone holding their keys. Entirely plausible.