Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Itentifying wood by smell

Electric Comet on Tue, 13 Feb 2018
08:34:28 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 17:07:21 -0800
pyotr filipivich wrote:

I have some mahogany boards salvaged off a shipping crate.

are they usable

Oh yes. Ripped them on the band saw, and will figure out what to
do with them "eventually".

i ask because sometimes i see some really knotty and crazy grain in
oak and somehow they get nails into without splitting

it seems the rarer pallet woods are also often the worst scrap pieces
left over from wherever they source

the pallet making industry probably has some interesting sourcing
techniques

Like I said - I wasn't aware of "grade 4" lumber. Cupped, warped,
bark, knotholes - it's is sort of a usable board.

urban refuse and the like

--
pyotr filipivich