Old February 12th 18, 02:14 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Itentifying wood by smell

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and some
rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.
Hardwood, I think "oak" - but I do not know. One thing I do know,
when I saw them loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar to
that of strong vinegar. (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)
This is more for my Fund of General Knowledge than a necessity.
I've used "pallet board" like this before to make so rather fine
(IMOSHO) small wooden boxes and the like.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
Just because they're invisible doesn't mean they are your friends.

Old February 12th 18, 02:24 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and some
rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.
Hardwood, I think "oak" - but I do not know. One thing I do know,
when I saw them loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar
to that of strong vinegar. (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)

There are at least half a dozen woods I can identify by their smell when
being cut.
Oak, walnut, bubinga, cedar (duh!), hickory, purpleheart, white pine,
probably more if I think about it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Old February 12th 18, 03:23 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and some
rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.
Hardwood, I think "oak" - but I do not know. One thing I do know,
when I saw them loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar
to that of strong vinegar. (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)

There are at least half a dozen woods I can identify by their smell when
being cut.
Oak, walnut, bubinga, cedar (duh!), hickory, purpleheart, white pine,
probably more if I think about it.

https://www.1001pallets.com/pallet-safety/

Some pallets are used once and discarded.
Some pallets are treated, used and re-used ..
.. for who-knows-what ..
Finder beware ..
John T.

Old February 12th 18, 04:14 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/11/2018 7:24 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Yes, that is my quandary.** I have a stack of pallets, and some rather
nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them. Hardwood, I
think "oak" - but I do not know.* One thing I do know, when I saw them
loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar
to that of strong vinegar.* (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)

There are at least half a dozen woods I can identify by their smell when
being cut.
Oak, walnut, bubinga, cedar (duh!), hickory, purpleheart, white pine,
probably more if I think about it.

Not to mention the nasties that may have soaked into the wood from the
chemicals that may have spilled onto them.
Old February 12th 18, 04:15 AM posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- on Sun, 11 Feb 2018 19:24:38 -0600
typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and some
rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.
Hardwood, I think "oak" - but I do not know. One thing I do know,
when I saw them loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar
to that of strong vinegar. (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)

There are at least half a dozen woods I can identify by their smell when
being cut.
Oak, walnut, bubinga, cedar (duh!), hickory, purpleheart, white pine,
probably more if I think about it.

Yeah, I can tell pine from "not pine"

But which one smells like vinegar?
--
pyotr filipivich

Old February 12th 18, 04:47 AM posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:
-MIKE- on Sun, 11 Feb 2018 19:24:38 -0600
typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and some
rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.
Hardwood, I think "oak" - but I do not know. One thing I do know,
when I saw them loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar
to that of strong vinegar. (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)

There are at least half a dozen woods I can identify by their smell when
being cut.
Oak, walnut, bubinga, cedar (duh!), hickory, purpleheart, white pine,
probably more if I think about it.

Yeah, I can tell pine from "not pine"

But which one smells like vinegar?

Could be oak or arsenic. Pallets get drug along trailer floors that have
had who knows what spilled on them.

Old February 12th 18, 04:49 AM posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- on Sun, 11 Feb 2018 19:24:38 -0600
typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and some
rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.
Hardwood, I think "oak" - but I do not know. One thing I do know,
when I saw them loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar
to that of strong vinegar. (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)

There are at least half a dozen woods I can identify by their smell when
being cut.
Oak, walnut, bubinga, cedar (duh!), hickory, purpleheart, white pine,
probably more if I think about it.

Yeah, I can tell pine from "not pine"

But which one smells like vinegar?

Probably the ones that held the crate of vinegar that sprang a leak. :-D

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Old February 12th 18, 04:49 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and some
rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.
Hardwood, I think "oak" - but I do not know. One thing I do know,
when I saw them loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar
to that of strong vinegar. (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)

There are at least half a dozen woods I can identify by their smell when
being cut.
Oak, walnut, bubinga, cedar (duh!), hickory, purpleheart, white pine,
probably more if I think about it.

Yeah, I can tell pine from "not pine"
But which one smells like vinegar?

the really bad poisonous one ..
... or maybe not.
it might be the other one ?
.. Who really knows ?
.. when it comes down to it.
.. hope this helps..

Old February 12th 18, 06:24 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and some
rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.
Hardwood, I think "oak" - but I do not know. One thing I do know,
when I saw them loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar to
that of strong vinegar. (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)
This is more for my Fund of General Knowledge than a necessity.
I've used "pallet board" like this before to make so rather fine
(IMOSHO) small wooden boxes and the like.

I recently toured the factory of Community Play Things. Their products are
found in schools, day cares, hospitals, and other institutional places where
children and babies can be found. While there I found out that they use a
wood for their outdoor products that is pickled.

Though my memory of the details could be off, as I recall the wood itself is
from Austria and the preservation is done in Norway... This not a finish but
rather an impregnating process (I believe done under a vacuum like pressure
treated wood). When I smelled the wood it had the scent of pickles/vinegar.

For pallet wood it might be cost effective compared to heat treated wood...
perhaps this is what you have.

Old February 12th 18, 05:24 PM posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I used to receive and ship on pallets, hundreds per week. I never

saw a treated pallet as most were not wanted back by the shipper, GM.
Only a very few were made out of a decent wood and those were so riddled
with nails it was more trouble than it was worth to try and salvage for
other uses.