Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Removing battery corrosion

"Back when projection TVs were plagued with coolant leaks, I used to soak the entire circuit board in an ammonia and soap solution. But *first*, everything that can trap water must be removed. Back then, that meant SMPS transformer, HOT and flyback XFRs, inductors,etc. A lot of work but it fixed stubborn symptoms and no call backs. "

I had a different technique. I washed it in hot water, then alcohol, then acetone with a brush and then blew dried it on hot to evaporate everything. And then sprayed with spray solvent to make it cold. That squeezes the **** out of the board, which is quite porous. Repeated about 4 times. The last time left the acetone or alcohol on it, heated it up with the blow dryer and waited a while until you could not smell it anymore.

The worst part was when it corroded the copper traces. Can't solder to them, must get all the way to the point where it is no longer dark and add a jump[er.And also extra clean that area because there is more conductive **** in it. It is actually in the board and you can see bubbles when you heat it..

I remember old AA and AB GE chassis bubbling under the solder on the gripletts which impeded their soldering. And those were about 90 % of the problems with those sets.